This recipe is from Demuths cookery school and the Southern Indian cookery day that I took with them a few years ago.
Ingredients – Serves 6
1 onion , finely sliced
2 garlic gloves, chopped
2.5cm piece fresh ginger
2 tbsp vegetable oil
225g red lentils, well washed and drained
700ml warmed vegetable stock
pinch ground cumin
pinch ground coriander
pinch garam masala
4 firm bananas, thinly sliced
fresh coriander leaves to finish
1. Fry the onion, garlic and ginger on the oil over a low heat for about 20 minutes until soft and golden. Add the turmeric and cook for a further 1 minute.
2. Add the lentils to the pan and fry for 1-2 minutes
3. Add the warmed stock and bring to the boil, then simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Add the spices, season and cook for a further 10 minutes.
5. A couple of minutes before serving, fold in the bananas and warm through
6. Garnish with coriander leaves
7. Serve as part of a thali.